Super(foods) double choc cookies :: Baking ::

Thursday 26 March 2015


Even on a diet I am going to eat chocolate cookies, I am just rubbish at resisting food I should not eat. So I decided that I should make them as good as I can, and make them super(food) cookies. I was lucky that in her Superfoods cookbook, Rena Patten had a chocolate cookie recipe that I could rely on (I already used this book here). And I swapped the butter for coconut oil and the brown sugar for coconut sugar 

Coconut oil is definitely up there in the superfood list - coconut sugar probably not, although it is more natural than normal sugar, so a bit better but not much. 

However (as you will see with the WW point) superfood does not mean diet foodFor me, it is all about making the most of eating a treat, and not waste empty calories. The recipe I used in the end includes quinoa flour, raw cocoa powder, coconut oil and dark chocolate - I reckon I am making full use of superfoods. It happens to be really tasty too, so what more could I wish for! 


What you are going to need? (for 19 cookies, 5WW per cookie, aouch!)

  • 200 g quinoa flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 3 tbsp pure raw cocoa
  • 150 g of dark chocolate chips
  • 125g of coconut oil
  • 100 g of coconut sugar
  • 2 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tbsp of low-fat milk


1. Preheat the oven to 180 C and grease and line baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cacao then stir in the chocolate chips.
3. Add the coconut oil and sugar to the mixture.
4. Beat in the vanilla and eggs, then fold in the mixture. Add the milk and mix until well combined. The mixture will be soft and sticky. 
5. Make small balls from the mixture and place them on the baking trays. 
6. Bake for about 11-12 minutes. The cookies should not be overcooked and still be a little soft when taken out of the oven. 
7. Cool the cookies completely before removing them (if you can!)


I know it is a lot of points on the WW diet - but to be fair these are decent size cookies. I could probably have made them smaller for less points, but what is the point in having a small cookie? 

So here is my way to make the most of my chocolate addiction. 

9 comments:

  1. Oh I might try double chocolate chip cookies, especially as they're a bit healthier and more nutritious than the regular cookie. I've been trying to eat healthier recently, and even made banana & raisin muffins the other day with brown sugar and wholemeal flour!

    Sarah xo | PolkaDotLemon

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my experience, small cookies are far less satisfying than large ones - better to make them a bit bigger and eat two feeling like you got your fill, than nibbling on six or seven little ones because, "They're so small!" Am I the only one who does that? I can't be ;)
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  3. We introduced quinoa to our diet not much time ago.
    But I haven't tried quinoa flour yet.
    Now I have a recipe! :)
    Perhaps you can swap sugar for processed dates and eggs for chickpeas flour for less fat if you persue to reduce calories intake.
    I lost weight and feel better now drinking at least 2 litres of water everyday.
    I use an app on my phone that reminds me I have to drink. Perhaps sounds silly, but works with me.

    I love seeing my lil spoon! I'm so happy it landed in your creative hands!
    Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen coconut sugar, that's a new one on me. must look out for it

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh, these look delicious! I just bought some coconut sugar for the first time, I'm excited to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh these look good! I wonder what kind of effect quinoa four has on baking. Coconut flour ducks up all the moisture and is very prominent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so trying this! Have you tried using agave syrup as a sweetener? I wonder how this would work? If it would work...

    ReplyDelete
  8. With bistroMD you can trust that you will not only receive gourmet meals, but that every entree and every day in bistroMD's weight loss program is balanced to bistroMD's designed nutritional platform to promote an healthy diet.

    STEP 1 - Choose one of the diet plans for 5 to 7 days of meals.
    STEP 2 - See your menu in advance and choose the entrees you want for each day and week.
    STEP 3 - Order your weight loss program online.
    STEP 4 - Your entrees are delivered to your door.

    GET STARTED NOW - home delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 3 Studies REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by eating coconut fats (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medical journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete